Police confiscate 'souvenir' live Grad warhead

Ashkelon man reportedly allowed his children to play with the highly-explosive device in the family home.

December 2, 2012 15:37
1 minute read.
The Grad warhead found in an Ashkelon home

The Grad warhead found by police in an Ashkelon home 370. (photo credit: Courtesy of Israel Police)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An Ashkelon man kept a live Grad rocket in his house for two days before police sappers came to his residence on Saturday night and neutralized the potentially deadly explosive souvenir.

Lachish subdistrict police said the man found the unexploded warhead in an open field in the city last Thursday, and took it home where he kept it in his house with his wife and kids, a decision that could have ended in tragedy.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The warhead was found by police after a local police bomb squad officer was told during a neighborhood soccer game that one of the team’s players took home a piece of a rocket he found. The officer reportedly told him about the danger inherent in keeping several kilograms of live ordnance in his home and then notified police, who sent a bomb squad unit over the next day to perform a controlled detonation of the rocket remnant.

Police said the man also allowed his children to play with the warhead in the family house.

Police on Sunday put out a statement in which they repeated the call for the public not to handle or approach any rocket fragments they may find, and to immediately call local police for assistance.

Just this past month during Operation Pillar of Defense and in the week previous, hundreds of rockets and mortars landed in open areas of southern and central Israel, and not all of them are believed to have detonated on impact.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night