Postmortem on baby finds fractured skull

Police say injuries were fresh, and could not have been caused by genetic problems, a viral infection, or a vaccination, as claimed by the parents.

February 2, 2012 05:07
1 minute read.
Doctors [illustrative]

surgery doctors transplant slicing 311. (photo credit: Thinkstock/Imagebank)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Police lifted a media ban Wednesday on the initial findings of a postmortem carried out on the body of a baby who may have been abused, and revealed that the infant suffered from a fractured skull.

The four-month-old baby died Sunday, several days after arriving at the hospital with internal injuries along with his twin sister, who has since recovered. Speaking at a remand hearing for the baby’s father held at the Tel Aviv Magistrate’s Court, a police representative said the injuries were fresh, and could not have been caused by genetic problems, a viral infection, or a vaccination, as claimed by the parents.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The court extended the father’s remand by five days, and said in its ruling the investigation was in its “final lap.”

The judge said it appeared the baby was injured by a physical act rather than a disease or a yoga exercise – a reference to speculation earlier in the week that the babies may have been hurt during a “baby yoga” session. The baby’s mother is under house arrest.

A funeral was held for the baby boy on Tuesday afternoon, attended by both parents with a police escort.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night