Security guard shot dead in Be’er Ya’acov bank heist

Bank robber opens fire on guard during heist; gunman flees on motorbike; police mobilized, using helicopter to find suspect.

August 15, 2011 19:26
1 minute read.
[illustrative photo]

Police car in Tel Aviv at night 311. (photo credit: Yoni Cohen)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A security guard was shot dead during a heist of a branch of Bank Hapoalim in town of Be’er Ya’acov, between Ness Ziona and Ramle, on Monday evening.

Police said an initial investigation found that the security guard tried to prevent the robbery from going ahead and “paid for his efforts with his life.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

An eye witness said the guard was shot twice as he attempted to protect members of the public from the armed robber.

“This is a severe incident,” said central police district chief Cmdr. Bentsi Sao. The district’s elite central unit has been tasked with leading the investigation.

Magen David Adom paramedics attempted to resuscitate the guard while transferring him to a hospital in the area, but he later died of his wounds.

The gunman fled the scene on a motorbike. Large numbers of police were mobilized to the area and were searching for the suspect.

A police helicopter was also sent to assist ground teams in the search for the gunman.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night