State keeps grip on suspects in September killing

Accomplices and main suspect in September killing of security guard continue to be kept in police custody.

October 22, 2012 03:45
2 minute read.
Magen David Adom (MDA) ambulance

MDA 311. (photo credit: Courtesy)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The state succeeded in keeping the Kafr Kasim resident accused of murdering Yishuv Shaarei Tikva security guard Lior Farhi in police custody with the three men accused of being his accomplices at least until their next court hearing on October 31.

The Central District Attorney’s Office filed an indictment against the four on September 27.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The indictment stated, among other things, that Arka’an Badir had intentionally run over Farhi with a car while trying to escape capture for ferrying Palestinians illegally through the West Bank security barrier, and that the other three defendants had tried to help Badir cover up the crime after the fact.

The focus of Sunday’s hearing, once it became apparent that the other three defendants had not marshalled enough evidence to change their status, was Ala’a Sirsur’s attempt to be freed from house arrest.

Sirsur’s attorney argued that he was hard working, that he had not been involved in aiding Palestinians to breach the West Bank barrier and that the state had exaggerated the extent of his actions in obstructing the investigation.

The state responded that it had evidence that he had spoken by telephone and inperson to Badir about how Sirsur would help cover up Badir’s crime.

Sirsur’s plan was to claim that his car, the car Badir drove in running over Farhi, had been stolen.


Sirsur even drove to the police station to file a false report to lead the police away from catching Farhi, only to be arrested upon his arrival at the station.

According to the state, Sirsur’s plan was a premeditated and well-planned coverup, which was far more grave than merely spontaneously lying to police about some facts during an interrogation.

Sirsur’s grave actions show that he cannot be released from house arrest without concerns of further obstruction of the investigation, said the state. According to the indictment, on September 9, Badir was waiting near the West Bank security barrier to shuttle Palestinians who had illegally breached and crossed through the fence to Kafr Kasim. Each passenger was due to pay Badir NIS 50 for ferrying him from the border fence.

Farhi and other security personnel were checking Palestinians’ documentation at the nearby checkpoint at the entrance from the West Bank to Israel.

The indictment alleges that Farhi and some of the personnel noticed Badir’s car waiting suspiciously next to a portion of the fence, which they correctly deduced had been breached.

They approached Badir, who had already loaded a number of Palestinians who were crossing through the breach in the fence illegally into his car.

When Badir saw the security forces approaching he starting to pick up speed with the aim to evade capture, reaching a speech of 73 kilometers per hour.

Farhi blocked his path of escape and pointed his gun at Badir’s vehicle to force him to stop, the indictment said.

In response, Badir accelerated and continued in Farhi’s direction, eventually hitting Farhi and sending him flying 64.5 meters.

Farhi was killed by the collision.

According to the indictment, Badir fled in his car in a bid to escape until he crashed into a road sign.

Afterward, Badir and his three Palestinian passengers escaped on foot.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night