Suspect admits beating J'lem Arab: I'd do it again

15-year-old testifies in remand hearing, says he beat the 17-year-old for "insulting his mom"; Police: Group meant to kill.

By MELANIE LIDMAN
August 20, 2012 15:03
3 minute read.
Zion Square, scene of brawl between Arabs, Jews

Jerusalem brawl 370. (photo credit: Avraham Bergman, News 24)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A 15-year-old Jewish boy, suspected of being involved in the beating of a 17-year-old Arab youth in Jerusalem last week, testified at his remand hearing at the Jerusalem Magistrate Court on Monday, admitting his involvement in the incident but expressing no remorse for his actions.

"Yes, I was there," said the boy, who police suspect was the first of the group to strike the victim. "He insulted my mom. So I caught him and beat him. I hit him and I hope he gets it again. I hope he dies. You can't go by Damascus Gate without getting stabbed. So why do they come here? I beat him and I'd beat him again."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


15-year-old suspect in J

There are a total of nine people being investigated so far, including two females. Police detained four suspects Monday morning, and four others were being remanded, including a 13-year-old boy, a 15-year-old boy, a 17-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl. In addition, one 19-year-old Jerusalem resident arrested on Saturday afternoon was remanded Sunday at the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court.

Police were still expecting additional arrests in the incident that shocked the capital, in which eyewitnesses claimed that dozens of Jewish youth beat Jamal Julani almost to death.

Deputy police commander of the Lev Habira station Ronen Avniely said "the event started on Thursday night in Kikar Hatulot." Police believe one of the teenage girls incited the rest of her group to attack Arabs by speaking about a sexual relationship she had with an Arab. "They were looking to hurt an Arab," Avniely said. He added that the suspects had given them a number of different versions of the events. Some claimed that the Arabs were harassing them.

Police also said that the victim Juliani had a heart defect, which could have been one of the reasons he was so injured as a result of the beating attack. Avnieli added that they believe around 10 Jewish teenagers attacked him, though there were many more witnesses, and that the "teenagers intended to beat Juliani to death."

National Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said "Police are patrolling the entire area of downtown Jerusalem and they arrived on the scene within two minutes."



The attack took place just after midnight on Thursday night in Zion Square. Eyewitnesses said approximately two dozen Jewish teenagers surrounded Julani and began beating him, continuing to kick him even after he fell unconscious to the ground.

Paramedics who arrived on the scene found Julani unresponsive and with no pulse.

They used CPR and defibrillators for more than 10 minutes before his pulse returned and evacuated him in critical but stable condition to Hadassah University Medical Center in Jerusalem’s Ein Kerem.

Police created a special investigative team to deal with the incident and expect additional arrests in the coming days.

Julani’s situation improved on Sunday and he is no longer unconscious nor connected to a respirator, according to a spokeswoman for the Hadassah University Medical Center. He is awake and responsive and was moved out of the intensive care unit to a regular floor, the spokeswoman added.

Julani’s parents, from the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Ras el-Amud, told Israel Radio that their son was a “victim of terror” and called on the police to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice with the same intensity that they would if the victim were Jewish.

A crowd of 200 people demonstrated on Saturday night in Zion Square to show their disgust with the incident with the Bright Tag anti-racism forum.

Jerusalem Post staff contributed to this report

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD