Suspects in alleged gang rape to remain in custody

Court rules to delete appeal earlier decision to extend their remand; suspects to be held until Wednesday.

May 2, 2012 16:52
1 minute read.
Victim [Illustrative photo]

Rape victim. (photo credit: Judy Siegel-Itzkovich)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Jerusalem District Court ruled on Wednesday to delete an appeal by two suspects arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of gang raping an 18- year-old high school student after a graduation party in a private home close to Jerusalem.

Police arrested four men in total, and on Tuesday the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court ruled to extend their remand until Thursday, while a police investigation continues. The two men in court today, one a security guard and the other a pool lifeguard, were both paid workers at the party, and were appealing against a magistrate’s court ruling to extend their remand.

All four deny the suspicions against them.

A court-imposed gag order preventing publication of the suspects’ names and photographs and all details of the ongoing police investigation remains in place, as is standard for cases involving sexual assault suspicions.

In Wednesday’s appeal hearing, the public defender representing one of the two suspects, attorney Nadav Gedaliahu, initially asked the court to release his client to full house arrest in his parents’ home.

Gedaliahu said that he estimated no charges would eventually be filed against his client.

Citing the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court decision on Tuesday to remand the four men in to custody, Gedaliahu said that the two suspects appealing had undertaken paid employment at the party at which “hundreds of teenagers and adults were present.”

“There is no evidence linking them to the rape,” he said.

Attorney Zecharia Schenkolewski, representing the second suspect, also said there was no evidence to establish reasonable grounds for suspicion against his client, and added that the fact his client was present at the villa did not constitute reasonable suspicion.

A police representative, however, presented the court with a summary of the police investigation and what he said was evidence attributed to each of the suspects.

At the end of the hearing, the suspects’ lawyers said they agreed to delete the appeal.

Judge Miriam Mizrahi also ruled that a gag order on the case would remain in place.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night