2-year-old Jewish girl injured in east Jerusalem rock attack in stable condition

"She is conscious but very sleepy," says hospital spokesperson; police arrest 4 Palestinian teenagers, deem attack nationalistically motivated.

December 1, 2013 11:17
1 minute read.
MDA paramedics evacuating woman to hospital in Jerusalem.

Magen David Adom paramedics 370. (photo credit: Magen David Adom spokesman)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A two-year-old Jewish girl wounded in a rock-throwing attack remains hospitalized, conscious and in stable condition at Hadassah University Medical Center in Jerusalem’s Ein Kerem, a hospital representative said Saturday.

Abigail Ben-Zion was moderately wounded Thursday night, allegedly by Palestinian teenagers, when a large rock hit the vehicle she was traveling in with her parents and two brothers in the Armon Hanatziv neighborhood.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

It shattered the rear window adjacent to her seat, striking the right side of the child’s head.

Following the attack Magen David Adom paramedics treated the girl, rendered semi-conscious, at the scene and transported her to the hospital in moderate condition.

Racheli Goldblatt, a spokeswoman for Hadassah, said on Saturday night that Ben-Zion underwent extensive neurological testing; however, she has not required surgery or stitches.

“She’s conscious, but sleepy,” she said. “She is being carefully observed in the surgical unit and we’re still waiting to see if her condition improves.”

Goldblatt added that the hospital would not release test results to the public at this time.

Describing the assault as “nationalistically motivated,” police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said four teenagers between the ages of 15 and 17 from the Arab neighborhood of Tzur Baher, near the scene of the attack, were arrested at 2 a.m. Friday upon returning home, following hours of undercover patrols.

The suspects were arraigned Friday morning at the Jerusalem Magistrate Court, Rosenfeld said, adding that there has been a pronounced spike in rock attacks in the capital over the past few weeks.

Following the assault, Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat, who visited the toddler at the hospital, condemned the violence and called for tougher criminal sanctions against stone-throwers.

“It must be made clear to everyone that a stone is a weapon for all intents and purposes, and it must be viewed this way,” Barkat said.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu had earlier condemned the attack and vowed that the suspects will be brought to justice.

“We will protect our city,” he said as he lit candles at the Western Wall on Thursday night. “I think that you have understood in recent days that our security forces are focused on apprehending wrongdoers and have been successful in doing so. They will be successful here as well.”

Jerusalem Post staff contributed to this report.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night