Two Ashkelon women die in apartment fire

Mother and daughter die in 18th-floor apartment fire after electric heater ignites furniture.

By JPOST.COM STAFF,
November 17, 2011 11:07
1 minute read.
Home Front Command drill

Home Front Command drill 311. (photo credit: Ben Hartman)

Two Ashkelon women died in a fire that broke out in their apartment after an electric heater ignited their furniture on Thursday, Army Radio reported.

Rescue workers declared the two women, a mother in her 90s and daughter in her 60s, dead upon discovering their bodies in their 18th-floor apartment.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Indonesians study Israeli mass catastrophe system
Senior MDA official in North dies after bike accident



The police, who are still investigating, believe the two women died of smoke inhalation, and suspect that the fire was sparked when a heating stove set a blanket alight, spreading flames through the apartment.

According to the Fire and Rescue Services, neighbors did not notice the fire sooner because the apartment was well-sealed, holding in signs of smoke and flames until it was too late. 

A short in the elevators resulting from the fire further delayed firefighters, forcing them to climb the 18 flights to the apartment.


Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD

Israel Weather
  • 13 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 19
    Jerusalem
    15 - 23
    Haifa
  • 18 - 28
    Elat
    16 - 29
    Tiberias