Beersheba's Chaswe Nsofwa dies after training match

Temperatures on the field approached 40 degrees Celsius with low humidity when Nsofwa collapsed.

August 30, 2007 00:57
1 minute read.
Beersheba's Chaswe Nsofwa dies after training match

Chaswe Nsofwa 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Hapoel Beersheba player Chaswe Nsofwa died after collapsing during a training match against Maccabi Beersheba at the team's Vasermil Stadium on Wednesday. Nsofwa, 27, who was part of the Zambian African Nations Cup squad in 2002, joined the National League team close to the start of the new season. The striker scored two goals on his debut Saturday against Hakoah Amidar Ramat Gan last weekend. Nsofwa went through a physical when he joined the team just two weeks ago and was declared to be fully fit. New Hapoel Beersheba owner Alona Bareket, who purchased the club just several weeks ago said: "I'm shocked. I can't believe that something like this has happened. This is a huge tragedy for the family, for Hapoel Beersheba Football Club and for me personally." Rescue workers tried to restart Nsofwa's heart for several minutes before taking him to Soroka Hospital in Beersheba, where he was pronounced dead. Paramedic Carmel Cohen told The Associated Press that he rushed to the field when he received the emergency call. "When we arrived we found the soccer player lying on the grass. We found his friends trying to help him," he said. "We gave him first aid, electric shocks and an external pacemaker, but despite all our efforts, he was declared dead at the hospital." It was not known what caused the player's collapse. Temperatures on the field approached 40 degrees Celsius with low humidity when Nsofwa collapsed. On Tuesday, Antonio Puerta, a midfielder for the Spanish team Sevilla, died three days after collapsing during a league game. Allon Sinai contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov


Cookie Settings