Local Soccer: Brilliant Betar beats Bnei Yehuda

Two Barak Itzhaki goals in the last two minutes put Jerusalem seven points clear at top of league with six matches to go.

April 10, 2007 00:31
1 minute read.
Local Soccer: Brilliant Betar beats Bnei Yehuda

Betar Mirosevic 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Bnei Yehuda put up a spirited fight against Betar Jerusalem but two Barak Itzhaki goals in the last two minutes gave the team from the capital a 3-1 Premier League victory at Bloomfield Stadium Sunday night. Betar retained the seven-point lead over Maccabi Tel Aviv it held entering Matchday 27. With six games left, Betar is in full control of its own destiny and the dream of its first league title since 1998 is close to becoming a reality. Bnei Yehuda stayed precariously close to the relegation zone in ninth place. Betar coach Yossi Mizrahi's decision to introduce youngsters Aviram Bruchian, Itzhaki and Toto Tamuz as substitutes in the final quarter changed the face of the game. "We played well today," Mizrahi said. "It wasn't great in the first half, but in the second, we created many opportunities and I am happy we won. We still have six more games left and there are still teams who are in the race with us for the championship but we won well and kept our distance from the other teams." The game had sprung to life from kickoff when Bnei Yehuda broke forward with intent. After 11 minutes, the hosts came close with an Asi Baldut freekick which Betar 'keeper Itzik Korenfein deflected over the crossbar. The opening goal came from the resulting corner. Reuven Oved crossed the ball and Ghanaian forward Imoro Lokman rushed in at the far post in front of Betar's Milovan Mirosevic to volley into the goal. Korenfein scooped the ball away but it had already crossed the line. Betar equalized seven minutes later from a Michael Zandberg corner. Arik Benado headed the ball down to Mirosevic, who volleyed past Bnei Yehuda 'keeper Vincent Enyeama with aplomb. After an entertaining first period, the second half was largely uneventful. With seven minutes left, Zandberg thought he had scored the winner for Betar when the ball came to him inside the area from a Itzhaki cross, but his shot clattered against the crossbar. Jerusalem took the lead with two minutes left. A sweet move involving Bruchian and Mirosevic put Itzhaki clean through and the young striker slotted home for the league leader. Two minutes later, Itzhaki scored again. With the Bnei Yehuda defenders concentrating on Tamuz, who was offside, Itzhaki received the ball from Bruchian and scored easily from three meters out.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov