Local Soccer: Ra'anana storms into Toto Cup semifinals

Local Soccer Raanana s

December 31, 2009 04:56
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Hapoel Ra'anana advanced to the semifinals of the Toto Cup on Wednesday night, recording a surprise 1-0 victory over Bnei Yehuda at Levita Stadium in Kfar Saba. Snir Shuker's second half screamer was enough to win the match for Ra'anana, which is playing in the Premier League for the first time in its history this season. The team in red fully deserved its victory on Wednesday and joins big guns Maccabi Haifa, Maccabi Tel Aviv and Betar Jerusalem in the last four of Israel's second cup competition. "I'm very pleased with the way we played," said Ra'anana coach Eli Cohen, whose side moved up to 12th position in the league standings on Saturday after a 3-1 win over Maccabi Petah Tikva. After a 30 minute postponement due to a waterlogged pitch, the match finally got underway at 8:30 p.m., and Bnei Yehuda dominated the early possession. In the ninth minute the visitors were only denied by the woodwork, with Liroy Tzairi's thunderous effort from 20 meters out smashing against the crossbar. Ten minutes before the break Eliran Atar squandered a golden opportunity to give Bnei Yehuda the lead and it was Ra'anana which scored the opener six minutes into the second half. Shuker stroke a superb left footed effort from just outside the box, giving Bnei Yehuda's second 'keeper Ran Kadosh no chance. Ra'anana controlled the match after that and only a mistake by the referee's assistant denied the hosts a second goal. Armando Lescano's header crossed the line after coming off the crossbar, but the officials failed to spot it. The one-goal lead, however, was enough for the hosts and Ra'anana will be looking to record another upset in the semifinals at National Stadium in Ramat Gan.

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov