Soccer scandal: Two more Beersheba players arrested

Assi Rahamim and Oz Ifrah arrested on suspicions of accepting money to fix a match scheduled for this past weekend.

December 18, 2006 01:14
2 minute read.
Soccer scandal: Two more Beersheba players arrested

hapoel beersheva 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The crisis in Israeli soccer deepened on Sunday as two more Hapoel Beersheba players were arrested on suspicions of accepting money to fix a National League match that had been scheduled for this past weekend. Beersheba goalkeeper Assi Rahamim and defender Oz Ifrah joined three of their teammates who were detained on Friday. Rahamim was taken into police custody Sunday after allegedly knowing that his teammates were being paid to throw the match but failing to speak up until Friday night. Ifrah was also arrested in connection to the scandal, which continued to cause immeasurable damage to Israeli soccer. Yehiel Tzagai, Evyatar Iluz and Miki Atiya were arrested Friday night after Atiya confessed to the team's coaching staff that he was given money to fix Saturday's scheduled match against Hapoel Ra'anana. The match was postponed by the Israel Football Association and the Toto soccer betting pool was reduced from NIS 40 million to NIS 10 million. Meanwhile, the police, the IFA and the gambling council all began on Sunday to deal with the repercussions. Police Chief Insp.-Gen. Moshe Karadi called IFA chairman Itzhak "Itche" Menahem on Sunday and assured him that the police plan to cooperate with the IFA in the effort to eradicate illegal gambling from Israeli soccer. The gambling council held an emergency meeting on Sunday morning following the weekend's events and decided on several measures to fight match-fixing. Gambling council chairman Gidon Brickman called Karadi and offered to fund a special police task force that will combat illegal gambling. "Israeli soccer has been hit with an earthquake and we're determined to stamp out illegal gambling and match-fixing," Brickman said on Sunday. "The council will make available all of its resources for this matter." The council also plans to demand from the IFA that at the end of every match that appears on the Toto form, three random players will be subjected to a polygraph test. The players' union has already announced that it will not agree to this and has threatened to strike should it be implemented. For the first time in 40 years, Toto will not be played this weekend. However, the following week the prize is set to stand at a record NIS 55 million, but will include only Israeli and English Premier League matches and no matches from Israel's lower divisions. In an unconnected but related affair, private investigation company Weitzman Ya'ar began on Sunday its inquiry into alleged match-fixing by former Hapoel Kfar Saba goalkeeper Oshri Levy. The investigation was ordered by the IFA after Levy was released from Kfar Saba last Wednesday following suspicions that he may have fixed some of the club's matches. Kfar Saba coach Eli Ohana was one of the first people to appear in front of the investigators on Sunday, with Levy expected to be questioned on Monday. "I'm still hoping that Oshri Levy will be cleared at the end of the investigation," Ohana said. "We decided to release him from the club after he failed a polygraph test. As soon as we had any doubt, we preferred to cut him loose. "We know that in recent days, Israeli soccer has been put in an unpleasant position, but these incidents have been going on for years and now is the time to root it all out."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov


Cookie Settings