Violence rocks Sakhnin stadium after draw with Betar

Following the highly anticipated Premier League match, stones were thrown and fights broke out between the rival camps.

January 9, 2006 04:55
1 minute read.
soccer riot 88

soccer riot 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A goalless draw between Bnei Sakhnin and Betar Jerusalem was overshadowed by the events afterwards as hundreds of police and stadium ushers were unable to prevent a violent aftermath Sunday night. Following the highly anticipated Premier League fixture at Doha Stadium in Sakhnin, stones were thrown and fights broke out between the rival camps. Police had to escort Sakhnin star Abas Suan through the raucous crowd after he appeared on television. Outside the stadium, Betar owner Arkadi Gaydamak's car was vandalized. A photographer was also injured as a result of the mayhem. In the match itself, a relatively eventful first half was followed by am uninspired second period as the players seemed to tire and were unable to carve out any respectable opportunities. The draw meant Betar lost distance on rival Hapoel Tel Aviv and remained in third place, while Sakhnin fans will be celebrating after moving out of the relegation zone into 10th place. New Betar signing Jerome Leroy made his first appearance, but apart from a few nice touches and passes, the former Lens captain did not make an immediate impact Betar fans had hoped for. It was left to Israeli Omri Afek to take control of the Betar midfield. For Sakhnin, Ahmed Kassoum and Suan both had their influence on the game but the midfield of both teams proved to be ineffective over and over again as passes were sent astray. In the 15th minute, Leroy floated a beautiful through pass to Afek, whose header was saved by 'keeper Meir Cohen. This proved to be Leroy's finest moment of the match as he seemed to be taking his time to adjust to Israeli soccer. Sakhnin, for its part, was also unable to create many chances. What appeared to be handball by Jerusalem right back Tomer Haliva in the Sakhnin area in the 28th minute was waved off by the referee. The game had threatened to erupt four minutes earlier when Jeff Tutuana fouled Suan, who got up and faced off to the Congolese striker. The second half saw few opportunities despite the introduction of attacking players. There were few clearcut chances, as both sides gave the ball away in midfield. Following the final whistle, though, the pitch became a dangerous place.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov