Israeli accused of starting Chile fire denies blame

Rotem Zinger: “I am not responsible for the fire. They cast the blame on me and I did not confess to anything.”

By
January 2, 2012 04:26
1 minute read.
Rotem Zinger accused of starting Chile fire

Rotem Zinger 311. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An Israeli man being held in Chile on suspicion of accidentally starting a forest fire on Sunday denied outright that he had anything to do with the blaze.

In an interview with Army Radio on Sunday, 23-year-old Rotem Zinger said “I am not responsible for the fire. They cast the blame on me and I did not confess to anything.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Zinger added that he thinks there may have been a mistake in translation, and that the Chilean authorities subjected him to a hasty “field trial.”

He told Army Radio that he was not able to properly communicate with his lawyer, did not understand the charges against him and that he did not give any testimony.

He also said that on the way to the courthouse he was harassed and cursed at by passersby and he feared for his safety.

Zinger told Army Radio that he has gone through a very difficult few days, but that his physical health is fine.

In a video released online Sunday, Zinger can be seen being led in handcuffs into a Chilean courtroom, as a crowd shouts obscenities and reportedly an anti-Semitic slur.



Earlier Sunday, Zinger’s father, Yehezkel Zinger, told Army Radio that his son played no role in the accident and “he doesn’t understand where the accusations came from.”

He added that his son was far away when the fire broke out and that if he had wanted to flee the country he could have.

Also on Sunday, Chilean prosecutors said that Zinger had confessed to negligence for starting the fire by not properly extinguishing a toilet-paper roll he lit in the park.

If he is found guilty, Zinger could face 41-60 days in jail and a fine of between $80-300.

So far the blaze in southern Patagonia has torched some 11,000 hectares (27,000 acres) of the 180,000 hectare park.

The fire has led Chile to declare a state of emergency in the province.

Related Content

Anti-government protesters demonstrate on a street in central Ankara
June 16, 2013
Thousands take to streets of Istanbul, defy Erdogan

By REUTERS