Mubarak trial resumes, prosecution to rest case

Prosecutors seek the death penalty for the former Egyptian president over ordering the shooting of protesters.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS
January 10, 2012 02:21
1 minute read.
Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak in court

Mubarak laying down in court 311. (photo credit: REUTERS)

The trial of ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak resumed on Monday, as prosecutors sought the death penalty for the man they say ordered the deaths of Egyptian protesters in January and February of last year.

The former Egyptain ruler arrived at the Cairo Police Academy for his trial on a stretcher. Mubarak, his two sons Alaa and Gamal, former interior minister Habib al Adly and 6 top aides are on trial for ordering the deaths of protesters that had gathered in Cairo, Alexandria and other Egyptian cities calling for the fall of the regime.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Egyptian prosecutors ask for death for Mubarak

Mubarak and his officials have been accused by of ordering police to fire live ammunition against protesters calling for the president's ouster.

The 83-year-old Mubarak and his two sons are facing corruption charges, while Adly has already been convicted for graft.

A small group of protesters gathered outside the courthouse to protest, as trials have been held behind closed doors.

One protester told Egyptian news outlet Bikya Masr that he wanted "Mubarak to die for his killing of Egyptians."

Prosecution lawyers said they believed their case will be successful.

"Hosni Mubarak's responsibility [for the deaths] cannot be disclaimed. This responsibility is based on him intentionally giving orders to forcefully disperse protests. I don't imagine that Habib al-Adly, his aides, or anyone else for that matter would have done so on their own without first referring to their seniors, represented at the time by the president, who is responsible for protecting the country, as he had once sworn when he took oath. So even if he hadn't ordered the killing of protesters, he didn't order a stop to the killings."

The prosecution is expected to rest its case during Monday's court session.


Related Content

Anti-government protesters demonstrate on a street in central Ankara
June 16, 2013
Thousands take to streets of Istanbul, defy Erdogan

By REUTERS