KABUL, Afghanistan — About 25 people may have been killed in a NATO airstrike in southern Afghanistan on Monday, an Afghan official said.
NATO officials confirmed there had been an airstrike in Helmand province but said initial reports indicated that there were no civilian casualties. The coalition was continuing to look into the operation, the officials said.The head of Helmand's provincial council, Fazal Bari, said local officials had told him that 25 people had been killed but that the casualty figures could rise because many bodies were still buried in the rubble.
He said the dead were inside a mosque in Baghran district, but NATO says it has no reports of a mosque being struck. Baghran is the northernmost district in Helmand, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) north of the provincial capital of Lashkar Gah.