BREAKING NEWS

Chinese held for firebomb attack at Japan embassy in Seoul

SEOUL - A Chinese man who reportedlysaid his grandmother was one of many thousands forced intoprostitution for the Japanese army during World War Two wasarrested on Sunday for a firebomb attack at the Japanese Embassyin Seoul, police said.

The 37-year-old man, identified by his family name Liu,hurled four petrol bombs at the embassy building in centralSeoul on Sunday morning, scorching an outer part of the wall, aSeoul police officer said.

There were no reports of injuries. Police were questioning Liu, a resident of the southernChinese city of Guangzhou, who entered the country on a touristvisa via Japan late last month, to determine the reasons behindthe attack, the officer said.

The Yonhap news agency said the man had told investigatorsthat his grandmother had served as a "comfort woman" forJapanese troops and that he had staged the attack in protestagainst Japan's wartime atrocities.

Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use

Read all Tweets >