BREAKING NEWS

Health officials confirm 3 cases of cholera in NYC

NEW YORK — New York City officials on Saturday confirmed that three New Yorkers contracted cholera while in the Dominican Republic for a wedding.
The Dominican Republic shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti, where thousands have died from the disease.
A medical epidemiologist for the city Department of Health and Mental Hygiene told The New York Times that all three people who were infected last month have recovered.
Dr. Sharon Balter said the city typically sees an average of one cholera case per year.
City health officials were working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta to determine whether the current strain is similar to the one that has been raging in Haiti since October.
Three cholera deaths have been reported in the Dominican Republic.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use and privacy policy