BEIRUT — A Hizbullah government minister refused Friday to confirm or deny Israeli allegations that the Lebanese group has acquired Scud missiles.
In the first Hizbullah comment on the Israeli charges, Minister Hussein Haj Hassan said the group was always arming and preparing itself but, "what we have is not their business."
Israeli defense officials have said they believe Hizbullah has obtained Scud missiles capable of hitting targets anywhere in Israel. President Shimon Peres earlier this week directly accused Damascus of providing the weapons.
Israel has not offered proof to back up the claim, and Syria's Foreign Ministry strongly denied the charge, saying it "believes that Israel aims through these claims to further strain the atmosphere in the region."
It added that Israel could be setting the stage for a possible "aggression in order to run away from the requirements of a just and comprehensive peace."