BREAKING NEWS

Iran opposition leader vows to continue struggle

TEHERAN, Iran — Iran's opposition leader pledged Saturday to continue the struggle against the government, despite canceling a mass protest for the anniversary of last June's disputed presidential election.
A statement by Mir Hossein Mousavi said that the opposition will "continue our peaceful methods."
Mousavi and another top figure, Mahdi Karroubi, called off the planned rally, citing fears for the lives of the protesters in the face of a violent government crackdown.
The opposition said at least 80 protesters have died so far in street clashes between security forces and protesters in the post-election turmoil — Iran's worst unrest since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
Mousavi said that while the opposition "may put off its presence in one arena," it will persevere through other ways.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use and privacy policy

Read all Tweets >