BREAKING NEWS

Iraq Al-Qaida statement confirms death of 2 top figures

CAIRO — An al-Qaida front group in Iraq declared in a statement posted on the Internet Sunday that its two top figures had been killed.
The statement by the Islamic State of Iraq provided the first confirmation from the terror network of the April 19 claim by the Iraqi and US governments that the two men were killed in a joint operation while hiding at a safe house near the city of Tikrit, north of Baghdad.
Sunday's statement said the death of Abu Omar al-Baghdadi and Abu Ayyub al-Masri would not affect the group's operations in Iraq after new members have joined the group recently. It also poured lavish praise on the two men.
"After a long journey filled with sacrifices and fighting falsehood and its representatives, two knights have dismounted to join the group of martyrs," the statement said. "We announce that the Muslim nation has lost two of the leaders of jihad, and two of its men, who are only known as heroes on the path of jihad."
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use and privacy policy

Read all Tweets >