Police: 5 of 6 suspected Abu Tor teen robbers released to house arrest
Police 5 of 6 suspected
By ABE SELIG
Five of the six Arab teenagers from Abu Tor who were arrested on Monday on suspicion of involvement in a spate of robberies in and around the Jerusalem neighborhood, were released to house arrest on Tuesday, a police spokeswoman said.
The sixth suspect, who was still in custody on Tuesday, was expected to be either released or have his remand extended on Wednesday, the spokeswoman added.
While police said the release of the five had been based on a differentiation between them and the sixth suspect, they could not elaborate on the details of the case before indictments had been filed.
The teens, all of whom are minors between the ages of 14 and 17, are suspected in a number of reported purse-snatchings in the area over the last two months, along with the theft of cell phones and carrying out vandalsim against Jewish-owned vehicles in Abu Tor, which has a mixed Arab-Jewish population.
Talks to restart Iraq oil exports via Turkish pipeline ongoing