Northern District State prosecutors dropped all charges on Wednesday against a 17-year-old American-Israeli youth allegedly subjected to police abuse and repeated gang rape at the Kishon prison near Haifa while being temporarily held in custody last November.
"A strong sense of justice has finally entered into my heart," Lior, the teenager's father, told The Jerusalem Post on Wednesday. "This is only the beginning of more justice that needs to happen, but it is a big first step," he added.
Lior said the family could now focus on the trial against the teenager's alleged attackers in prison, and follow the progress of the Police Investigations Department, which is investigating allegations that Karmiel police officers struck the youth, and which has said that preliminary findings indicate that the teen's complaint was justified.
Last month, prosecutors were given 30 days by a Krayot court to consider a request to drop all charges against the youth, and the Knesset's Interior Affairs and Environment Committee called on the state prosecution to drop all charges.
"I am asking the state prosecution to close this case. This youth does not have faith in state institutions. Take this minimal step,” said Committee Chairman MK David Azulai during the meeting.