BREAKING NEWS

Sarkozy asks TV channels not to show killings film

PARIS - French President Nicolas Sarkozy begged television networks on Tuesday not to broadcast video footage filmed by an al-Qaida-inspired gunman of his spate of deadly shootings in southern France this month.
France is still reeling at Mohamed Merah's close-range shootings, a month before a presidential election, of three Jewish children, a rabbi and three soldiers in the southern city of Toulouse.Qatar-based network Al Jazeera said it was considering whether or not to air the images received at its Paris bureau on a memory stick late on Monday that were filmed by Merah with a camera attached to his body.
The clips had been edited into a montage with Islamic chants and readings from the Koran, the network said.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use

Read all Tweets >