BREAKING NEWS

UN reports over 500 rapes in eastern Congo

UNITED NATIONS — The United Nations on Tuesday reported more than 500 systematic rapes were committed by armed combatants in eastern Congo since late July — more than double the number previously reported.
UN Assistant Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Atul Khare told the UN Security Council that in addition to the 242 rapes in and around the village of Luvungi that were reported earlier this month, more than 260 other rapes and sexual attacks took place in Uvira and other regions of North and South Kivu.
In the village of Miki, in South Kivu, he said, there were 74 cases of sexual violence, including 21 minors — all girls between the ages of 7 and 15 — and six men.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use

Read all Tweets >