The special US envoy to North Korea said Saturday that no plans have been made for more direct talks with the reclusive communist nation, and that all parties in the effort to end the standoff over its nuclear program should exercise "strategic patience" for now.
Stephen Bosworth was in Beijing to brief Chinese officials on his three days of meetings with North Korean officials this past week, which he called "very businesslike, very candid, forward-looking." But he said how and when stalled six-nation negotiations on the North's nuclear disarmament would resume is yet to be resolved.
"This may be the time to exercise strategic patience," Bosworth told reporters. "Everyone, including North Korea, may need to sit quietly for a bit and see what happens."
North Korea said Friday it understands the need to resume the nuclear negotiations and would work with Washington to resolve remaining "differences," but analysts said it was too early to declare Bosworth's mission a success. North Korea walked away from the talks earlier this year in anger over international criticism of its ambitions to develop long-range rocket technology, vowing never to return.