One dead in underground steam pipe explosion in NYC

Officials say blast not related to terrorism; tests will determine if asbestos release is a concern.

jp.services2 (photo credit: )
(photo credit: )
An underground steam pipe explosion tore through a Manhattan street near Grand Central Terminal on Wednesday, spewing a towering geyser of steam and airborne rubble and killing one person as hundreds of people fled in scenes reminscent of the 9/11 panic. Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the explosion was not terrorism, though the blast caused a brief panic about a possible attack. "There is no reason to believe whatsoever that this is anything other than a failure of our infrastructure," he said of the 24-inch (61-centimeter) steam pipe that had been installed in 1924. Eighteen people were taken to local hospitals, officials said. One person was pronounced dead at Bellevue Hospital from an apparent heart attack, Bloomberg said. Two were in critical condition and another two were seriously injured. The others suffered minor injuries. The explosion caused widespread chaos as residents and commuters heard a huge blast - and feared for the worst. Thousands of commuters evacuated the train terminal, some at a run, after workers yelled for people to get out of the building. A titanic geyser of steam and mud shot from the center of the blast, generating a tremendous roar. The initial burst of steam rose higher than the nearby 77-story Chrysler Building, one of Manhattan's tallest buildings. The air near the site was filled with debris. Debbie Tontodonato, 40, a manager for Clear Channel Outdoor, said she thought the rumble from the 6 p.m. (2200 gmt) explosion was thunder. "I looked out the window and I saw these huge chunks that I thought were hail," she said. "We panicked, I think everyone thought the worst. Thank God it wasn't. It was like a cattle drive going down the stairs, with everyone pushing. I almost fell down the stairs." Streets were closed in several blocks in all directions. Subway service in the area was suspended. There were also concerns about what was spewed into the air. Some of the pipes carrying steam through the city are wrapped in asbestos. "The big fear that we have is there may or may not have been asbestos release," Bloomberg said. Officials would not know until test results until later, the mayor said, but if there was a release it may have washed away with the water that came with the steam. The steam cleared around 8 p.m. (0000 GMT), exposing a crater several feet (meters) wide in the street. A red tow truck lay at the bottom of the hole. Con Edison spokesman Chris Olert said workers were still trying to determine what caused the blast.