Forty-three years after banning the Beatles from playing here, Israel is crooning "Love Me Do" to surviving members of the Fab Four and inviting them to perform at the 60th Independence Day bash in May, according to a report Monday. The Beatles had been booked to appear in Israel in 1965, but government officials refused to grant the necessary permits, citing concerns that the tousle-haired British band and its strident, amplified music could corrupt the morals of Israeli youth. Monday's Yediot Aharonot report quoted extensively from a letter of apology that, it said, Ambassador to London Ron Prosor was to present to slain Beatle John Lennon's sister Julia Baird at The Beatles Story museum in Liverpool. It said copies of the letter would also be sent to relatives of late guitarist George Harrison and to survivors Paul McCartney, 65, and Ringo Starr, 67. "We should like to take this opportunity to correct the historic omission which to our great regret occurred in 1965, when you were invited to Israel," the newspaper quoted the letter as saying. "We should like to see you sing in Israel." In Jerusalem, Foreign Ministry spokesman Arye Mekel confirmed that Prosor was scheduled to meet Baird and invite her to Israel for the gala marking the state's founding. But he said he had no knowledge of any letter of apology or of invitations to McCartney and Starr to perform. "It was very exciting to meet John Lennon's half-sister Julie and to make this step back in time," said Prosor on Monday. "During the tour, all senses were engaged with the incredible photos and songs of the era." The ambassador made an appeal to the remaining Beatles to give Israel a second chance and visit during the 60th anniversary year. He expressed the hope that the country wouldn't have to wait until it was 64.