Court extends terror suspect's remand but says indictment unlikely.
By BEN HARTMAN
There is not enough evidence to convict alleged Jewish terrorist Chaim Pearlman, a Petah Tikva judge said Monday.Judge Nahum Streinlicht’s statement came during a remand hearing at the Petah Tikva Magistrate’s Court at which police and the prosecution sought an eight-day extension of Pearlman’s remand in order to strengthen their case. Streinlicht refused the request and extended the suspect’s remand by just two days, saying the 28 days he had been in custody were enough for the state to find sufficient evidence.RELATED:Shin Bet denies claims it tortured PearlmanPearlman: Shin Bet told me to kill SalahPearlman, a 30-year-old father of three from Beit Rabban near Yavne, was arrested in July by the Shin Bet (Israel Security Service) and Israel Police as the main suspect in the stabbing deaths of four Palestinian men in Jerusalem in the late 1990s. Three other men were arrested for allegedly having helped Pearlman commit the murders; all but one have been released.Shortly after Pearlman’s arrest, associates released audio recordings to Channel 2 in which an alleged Shin Bet agent appears to urge him to kill the head of the Islamic Movement’s Northern Branch, Sheikh Raed Salah.Pearlman has said he was set up by the Shin Bet and had no connection to the murders.
var cont = `Stay Informed
As the war against Hamas unfolds, our unwavering newsroom remains committed to covering Israel's most profound crisis.
Sign up for our newsletter to get real-time news and in-depth analysis from our top reporters.