By JPOST.COM STAFF
Defense Minister Amir Peretz has granted the IDF permission to renew pinpoint operations against terrorists within the Gaza Strip, effectively ending a months old cease-fire, Army Radio reported Sunday.
Peretz said Sunday evening that Hamas is exploiting the period of relative calm in the coastal strip to improve its military capabilities. He added that Hamas has intensified efforts to strike at Israeli security forces patrolling the fence that encircles Gaza with roadside bombs.
The defense minister's comments echoed recent statements made by IDF Chief of General Staff Gabi Ashkenazi, who said it is upon the army to take action against the strengthening of Hamas' military forces.
Last week, for the first time since the cease-fire went into effect, the IDF succeeded in intercepting an Islamic Jihad rocket squad moments before it attempted to launch Kassam rockets from the northern Gaza Strip into Israeli territory.
var cont = `Stay Informed
As the war against Hamas unfolds, our unwavering newsroom remains committed to covering Israel's most profound crisis.
Sign up for our newsletter to get real-time news and in-depth analysis from our top reporters.