A 47-year-old man from Moshav Shavei Zion just south of Nahariya died of a snakebite late Friday at the city's Western Galilee Medical Center even though he had been treated by a Magen David Adom paramedic at home and stabilized at the hospital. Gil Borochevsky was bitten in the neck by a viper that he encountered on top of a dovecote in his courtyard. After waking from noise coming from the dovecote, he went outside to investigate and was immediately bitten by the viper. Such cases are very rare, according to MDA. He was conscious and in moderate condition when he reached the medical center but suddenly deteriorated and died. Dr. Aryeh Eizenman, of the Western Galilee Medical Center, said a poisonous snakebite to the neck or face was especially dangerous because it was close to the brain. Eizenman added that while it was very difficult to save victims of a snakebite to the neck, the victim should not have run to his house to call an ambulance. Instead, said the doctor, he should have immediately rested, as physical activity speeds up the rate at which venom spreads through the body. MDA warns that as snakes sleep during the cold season, they wake up in the spring and have large amounts of venom in their glands. When walking through tall grass or anywhere else where a snake can hide, wear high-top shoes. In addition, keep lawns trimmed, and beware when moving rocks suddenly as a snake may be disturbed.