Toddler saved after eating battery

Aside from a battery, doctors also removed a large number and variety of seeds and pits.

A 15-month-old girl brought to Rehovot's Kaplan Medical Center was suffering from a swollen belly, stomachache, lack of appetite and a drop in weight. When doctors took an x-ray, they saw a foreign body but could not identify it. She was rushed to the operating theater, where Dr. Moshe Greenspan, head of pediatric surgery, pulled out a small, rusty battery and a large number and variety of seeds and pits, including those from olives, pistachios, watermelons and cherries. It turned out that the toddler was suffering from a partial blockage of the intestine and that swallowing these objects caused a complete blockage. The operation was successful, and the girl is out of danger. Iris Lisha, the nurse in charge of the toddlers' wing, reminded parents to keep small objects, including food, out of reach of young children. This case, she said, could have ended in tragedy.