Says organization exempt from cease-fire because of Israeli violations.
By JPOST.COM STAFF
An Aksa Martyrs Brigades operative announced on Wednesday that the Fatah-affiliated movement would resume rocket attacks on Israel as it viewed itself as exempt from the cease-fire, citing Israeli violations.
"Due to Israeli violations of the cease-fire we have decided that it does not apply to us and we will resume rocket attacks against Israeli communities," said the operative.
However, senior officials of Fatah's armed faction said that no such decision had been made.
Meanwhile, Palestinian sources said that the IDF had arrested over 40 Palestinians overnight Tuesday in a village near the West Bank's Jenin refugee camp, Israel Radio reported.
The Palestinians claimed the army was trying to put pressure on Al Aksa Martyrs Brigades leader Ibrahim Ahbed and his brother Ram Vil, who live in the village, to turn themselves in.
According to report, most of those arrested were relatives and friends of the two.
The army said it had arrested some 20 Palestinians in the West Bank, but denied that the arrests were meant to pressure the wanted Aksa commanders. Most of those detained were expected to be released at end of their investigations.
The organization is one of several Palestinian armed groups that have refused to acknowledge the cease-fire with Israel as long as the IDF continues to arrest its members in the West Bank.
Other groups that refused to sign the truce with Israel included Islamic Jihad and Hamas's armed wing, Izzadin Kassam.
Since the cease-fire began last week, 18 Kassam rockets have been fired at Israel from the Gaza Strip.
Khaled Abu Toameh contributed to this report.
var cont = `Sign up for The Jerusalem Post Premium Plus for just $5
Upgrade your reading experience with an ad-free environment and exclusive content