By JERUSALEM POST STAFFPublished: AUGUST 13, 2007 18:19Advertisement
Jordanian health authorities have banned the serving of chicken shawerma sandwiches in the kingdom's restaurants, after hundreds got Salmonella poisoning, the acting health minister said Monday.
Mohammed al-Thneibat said that 204 people had to be hospitalized for a few hours since Saturday, because they ate sandwiches with undercooked chicken infested by the Salmonella bacteria. Al-Thneibat said the ban also included sale of homemade mayonnaise.
It was unclear how long the ban would be in place.
The Salmonella is said to have originated from a restaurant in the Palestinian refugee camp of Baqaa, 27 kilometers (17 miles) northwest of the Jordanian capital Amman. The restaurant sold some 600 meals of undercooked chicken meat, causing food poisoning among a third of the consumers.
var cont = `Sign up for The Jerusalem Post Premium Plus for just $5
Upgrade your reading experience with an ad-free environment and exclusive content