Print Edition
Ben Yosef Livnat 311.(Photo by: Family Courtesy)
Shin Bet arrest three over Joseph's Tomb murder
IDF, Shin Bet arrest three Palestinians allegedly involved in the shooting, death of Ben Yosef Livnat in Nablus in 2011.
Security forces arrested three members of the Palestinian Authority’s security services for their involvement in the shooting death of an Israeli man in 2011, the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) announced on Wednesday.

Ben Yosef Livnat was killed and five Israelis were shot and wounded at Joseph’s Tomb at Nablus two years ago.

On May 22, the IDF and Shin Bet arrested three men after they were released from the PA’s custody. They had been incarcerated for two years after being convicted only of firing in the air during the shootings.

Security forces named the three West Bank residents in custody as Nuaf Auda, 24, Wael Dauod, 24 – both armed PA patrol officers at the time of the incident – and Tarki Zuara’a, 23, who was an unarmed driver.

The Shin Bet said two additional Palestinians – a patrol unit commander and an additional patrol officer – were involved in the shooting. The commander is still in a PA jail for his role in the shooting, while the officer has gone into hiding in a PA security building.

“During questioning, the suspects confessed to firing on Israeli vehicles despite the fact that their lives were not at risk,” the Shin Bet said.

The investigation found that one of the bullets fired by the patrol officers killed Livnat. Livnat was a father of four from Elon Moreh and a nephew of Culture and Sports Minister Limor Livnat.

Before their questioning by the PA, the suspects coordinated their accounts of the incident to give the impression that they were under attack, the Shin Bet said.

After the shooting, the suspects placed rocks on the road leading to the tomb, to back up their testimony that they had come under a rock attack and that they fired in self-defense, it added.

The cover-up continued inside a PA prison, where the suspects were held after the shooting, the Shin Bet said.

The prison’s chief injured one of the suspect’s leg, with the suspect’s consent, to provide further “evidence” that the Palestinian officers had been wounded by the Israelis.

“The investigation is still ongoing. After its completion, the investigation’s findings will be sent to Judea and Samaria District prosecutors for an indictment against the suspects,” the Shin Bet said.
print gohome Arab-Israeli Conflict | Israel News | Diaspora | Middle East | Opinion | Premium | Blogs | Not Just News | Edition Francaise | Green Israel

Copyright © 2014 Jpost Inc. All rights reserved • Terms of UsePrivacy Policy