Euro Soccer: Awat's Deportivo future in doubt

Dudu Awat's future at Deportivo La Coruna remains in doubt despite coach Migual Angel Lotina's decision to allow the Israel goalkeeper to return to the team late Monday. Awat was punched by fellow goalkeeper Gustavo Munua after training on Friday and needed eight stitches around his left eye. Both keepers were dropped from the team's visit to Villarreal in the Primera Liga on Sunday and Deportivo B goalkeeper Fabricio Ramirez started the game which La Coruna lost 4-3. On Monday, however, Lotina relented after talks with the club's four captains and allowed the goalkeepers to train separately alongside the team. Lotina has demanded, nevertheless, that in the next seven days the players work out their differences. "They have to accomplish the following requisites: talk between themselves, seek forgiveness from the rest of the squad and the fans," Lotina said. "Without these, neither the coaching staff nor the team will be able to accept them back into the squad." The 30-year-old Awat has been Depor's number one since he arrived from Racing Santander in 2006, but was dropped for 29-year-old Uruguayan reserve Munua after the 2-1 league defeat at home to Osasuna at the beginning of December. "It's painful on a personal level because it is the first time something like this has happened to me," Awat told Spanish sports daily Marca of Friday's incident. "It was a surprise. After training I showered and went to get dressed. Munua came in and said 'who are you looking at?' I received a punch in the eye and it started to bleed heavily. All the team were there and were shocked. "It wasn't a fight. He hit me without any explanation. I am surprised a teammate can do something like this." Deportivo is 19th in the Spanish league with 17 points, four points from avoiding the relegation zone. "I have never complained about or spoken badly of a colleague. I spoke about my ability and the team's predicament. They asked me about Munua and I didn't say anything," Awat added. Munua apologized to Awat and his family, his teammates and the fans at a press conference late Monday. "It was a moment of madness from both of us. We argued from a long distance, and we went after each other, but it was 10 seconds, no more," Munua said. "Hopefully nothing like this happens again." AP contributed to this report.