Local Soccer: Hapoel Tel Aviv and Bnei Yehuda draw

Neither team scores in frustrating Premier League Matchday 28 finale.

bnei yehuda 88 (photo credit: )
bnei yehuda 88
(photo credit: )
Both sets of fans left Bloomfield Stadium disappointed Monday night after Hapoel Tel Aviv and Bnei Yehuda fought to a frustrating 0-0 draw in the Premier League Matchday 28 finale. However, the teams' poor play should come as no surprise to the supporters as both clubs have failed to claim a league victory in many weeks. Hapoel, which remains in third place, has not won in its last four league matches following Monday's result, with Bnei Yehuda, which is still not safe from relegation, winless in its last seven outings. Both teams were eager to get off to a good start and in the first few minutes of the match, it looked as if it wouldn't be long before the opening goal would arrive. After five minutes, a good team move was poorly finished off by Lior Asulin, who hit a weak, right footed shot that was easily saved by 'keeper Shavit Elimelech. Seconds later, Hapoel had its first true chance of the match when Ibazito Ogabuna hit a powerful left footed shot that was only just cleared by Bnei Yehuda 'keeper Vincent Enyeama. Four minutes later, Enyeama almost foolishly cost his club a goal after turning the ball over in the center of the field following a bizarre run forward. The 'keeper inexplicably chose to run with the ball rather than clear it and was fortunate Tel Aviv didn't capitalize on his mistake. Hapoel began to dictate the play as the match progressed and almost took the lead in the 12th minute when some good teamwork was wasted by Salim Toama, who hit a wayward shot from 20 meters out. Bnei Yehuda was content on hitting its opponents on the break and it wasn't long before Hapoel translated its control of possession into more scoring opportunities. In the 29th minute, Elyaniv Barda was centimeters away from turning in Walid Badier's rebounded header, but the ball was cleared just before the forward poked it in. Four minutes before the interval, Hapoel had its best chance of the half when Barda failed in his attempt to lob over Enyeama after receiving the ball all alone five meters from the Bnei Yehuda goal. Tel Aviv dominated the second half, but for all its possession was still unable to score an all-important goal. Toama had his club's best chance of the half in the 61st minute, when he found space in Bnei Yehuda's box, but instead of shooting at the goal, he attempted a terrible pass that was intercepted by the defense. Two minutes before the final whistle, Toama and Itzik Azuz were sent off after frustratingly hitting out at each other in front of the referee. First trophy of theseason at stake tonight Maccabi Herzliya and Hapoel Kfar Saba will face off in the Toto Cup Final at National Stadium in Ramat Gan on Tuesday night. Hapoel Kfar Saba defeated Betar Jerusalem 3-0 in one semifinal and Maccabi Herzliya beat Hakoah Amidar Ramat Gan 2-0 in the other.