Soccer: IFA court overturns decision to grant Herzliya technical win over Betar

High Court also cancels two-point deduction handed to Betar this season and reduces next season's point deduction from four points to two.

betar fans 88.298 (photo credit: Asaf Kliger [file])
betar fans 88.298
(photo credit: Asaf Kliger [file])
Betar Jerusalem's match against Maccabi Herzliya will be replayed after the Israel Football Association High Court overturned the tribunal's original decision on Wednesday morning, claiming that a technical victory for Herzliya is unsportsmanlike. The High Court also canceled the two-point deduction handed to Betar this season and reduced next season's point deduction from four points to two. "There are special circumstances in this case which require from us to order that the match be replayed," the High Court's verdict read. "We agree with the standpoint that results should be decided on the field and not off it." There was further good news for Betar as the High Court also decided that the reigning champion will only play its upcoming home match against Bnei Yehuda and the replayed game against Herzliya in front of empty stands, instead of the four matches it was originally supposed to play in an empty Teddy Stadium. The court also decided that the eastern stand in Teddy, from which the fans stormed the pitch on April 13, will be closed for a further two matches and that should there be a recurrence of the pitch invasion Betar will be deducted four points. Apart from Betar the Premier League's bottom teams were also delighted with the decision. "I'm very happy that the High Court has corrected the injustice which saw so many teams punished even though they had nothing to do with the actual offense. This proves that our cause was just," said Maccabi Tel Aviv chairman Aviv Bushinsky. Hapoel Kfar Saba is tied on 31 points with Maccabi and two other teams and its chairman Eli Tabib was also pleased with Wednesday's developments. "I think that this should have been the decision right from the start. We knew the High Court would be sensible and use common sense," Tabib said. Betar was leading 1-0 against Herzliya on April 13 when thousands of its fans ran on to the field in the 87th minute of the match to celebrate their team closing in on a second straight league title.