Hamas blames Israel for Gaza tunnel attack; Report claims it was Egypt

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 9, 2017 08:19

The Hamas Health Ministry said two people were killed in the incident.

1 minute read.



 Gaza Strip

An Egyptian soldier keeps guard on the border between Egypt and southern Gaza Strip. (photo credit:REUTERS)

Two people were reportedly killed and five were hurt in the southern Gaza Strip on Thursday in an "attack" on an underground tunnel along the border between Gaza and Egypt, according to Hamas's Health Ministry.

The ministry described the incident as an "Israeli attack" and claimed it was done in response to rockets fired toward Eilat on Wednesday night.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


However, a report released hours later by the Institute for National Security Studies said later on that the Egyptian Army was actually at fault for carrying out the attack.

Earlier in the week, on Monday, the IDF struck several Hamas targets following an early morning rocket attack and late afternoon gunfire from Gaza directed at troops.

Palestinian sources in Gaza reported a large strike in central Gaza Strip, saying the Israel Air Force had hit a Hamas target in Shuja’iyya and that renewed artillery fire targeted Hamas outposts in the central Strip.

Several hours earlier, IDF artillery shelled several Hamas targets in response to earlier gunfire targeting troops working on the Gaza border fence near Kissufim.

According to Palestinian reports,the IDF fired at two Hamas positions east of Deir el-Balah in the central Gaza Strip.

Ann Ahronheim contributed to this report.

Related Content
eader of the northern branch of the Islamic Movement
October 23, 2017
Court rejects Raed Salah’s appeal for release

By UDI SHAHAM

Israel Weather
  • 14 - 28
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 26
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 15 - 24
    Jerusalem
    18 - 24
    Haifa
  • 20 - 31
    Elat
    19 - 30
    Tiberias