Netanyahu after rocket fire from Syria: Those who play with fire get burned

A senior security source said Hezbollah was behind Tuesday's rocket attacks.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
January 27, 2015 18:25
1 minute read.
Quneitra crossing

Smoke rises following an explosion on the Syrian side near the Quneitra border crossing between the Golan Heights and Syria, August 29, 2014.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reacted to the firing of two rockets from Syria into the Golan Heights on Tuesday, saying that whoever tries to challenge Israel on its borders "will find out that we are ready to react with force."

"Israel regards with severity the attack today from Syrian territory. Those who play with fire get burned," the prime minister said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


A senior security source said Hezbollah was behind Tuesday's rocket attacks.

The source added that the IDF continues to be in high preparation mode for potential further events. "Syria is responsible for what happens on Syrian territory," the source said. "We will see how further events unfold."

A second source added that there are no planned school cancellations or special security instructions for residents of the North at this time. The source said the Home Front Command would notify civilians if changes occur.

The Hermon ski site, which was closed following the attack was scheduled to remain shut.

The IDF returned artillery fire toward the source of the projectiles after they were fired. The army said that it scored a direct strike against the source of enemy fire.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage in the attack.

Rocket alert sirens were sounded in the area prior to the attack. The rockets fell in the Mount Hermon area and in Merom Golan.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, but it comes just nine days after a strike on a Hezbollah convoy in Syria which has been widely attributed to Israel.

Six Hezbollah operatives were killed in the strike, along with six Iranians, including a high-ranking Revolutionary Guards general. Among the Hezbollah operatives killed in the strike was Jihad Mougniyeh, the son of Hezbollah's former military leader, Imad Moughniyeh.

Iran and Hezbollah have both vowed to retaliate for the strike.

Since the alleged Israeli air strike, the IDF has increased its presence in northern communities as part of a measure to boost defenses around civilian areas ahead of a potential Hezbollah attack. Local residents have seen an upsurge in military traffic in their areas.

Israel also deployed several Iron Dome rocket defense batteries to the North last week, however they were not activated in Tuesday's projectile attacks.


Related Content

Palestinian protesters carry tires to burn them during clashes with Israeli troops at Israel-Gaza bo
April 21, 2018
Four weeks and five controversies in recent Gaza clashes

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN

Israel Weather
  • 14 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 13 - 19
    Jerusalem
    16 - 20
    Haifa
  • 19 - 29
    Elat
    17 - 27
    Tiberias