Settlers to Netanyahu: Prevent next terror attack with new security plan

By
October 19, 2017 00:33

The proposed security plan would cost NIS 3 billion.

1 minute read.



Kiryat Arba Council head Malahi Levinger, Beit Aryeh Council head Avi Naim, Samaria Regional Council

Kiryat Arba Council head Malahi Levinger, Beit Aryeh Council head Avi Naim, Samaria Regional Council head Yossi Dagan, Hadas Mizrahi and Itzhik Abutbul in front of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Jerusalem home.. (photo credit:TOVAH LAZAROFF)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu must endorse and fund a new security plan for West Bank roads and communities, settlers and terrorism victims said Wednesday as they staged a small protest in Jerusalem.

“I am determined to prevent the next terrorist attack,” said Hadas Mizrahi, whose husband Baruch was killed in 2014 just before Passover when a Palestinian terrorist shot at his car with an automatic weapon on Route 35 near the Tarkumiya checkpoint.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Hadas and four of the family’s five children also were in the vehicle and survived the attack. They had been on their way to her parents’ home in Kiryat Arba to celebrate the Passover seder.

She was one of a number of terrorism victims who, along with Samaria Regional Council head Yossi Dagan and the council heads of Eli, Kiryat Arba and Beit Aryeh, held a small press conference outside the Prime Minister’s Residence.
Hadas Mizrahi calls on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to endorse and fund a new security plan for West Bank roads, October 18, 2017. (Tovah Lazaroff)

“If no solution is found, we will return and sleep on the sidewalk until this government responds,” said Dagan.

They have endorsed a comprehensive NIS 3 billion plan by Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman that calls for bypass roads, better lighting, expanded cellular coverage and smart fences to protect settlements and protect attacks on the roads.

At a press conference at the construction site for the new Amihai settlement on Wednesday Liberman said the terrorists know which areas are without cellular coverage and the weak points in road security and plan their attacks accordingly.

The plan, he said, is in the final stages of development and likely will be completed in November. He hopes to start funding it from the 2019 budget.

But Dagan and the terrorism victims said there is no reason to wait to move forward on some of the elements, particularly better cellular coverage and bypass roads.

“Wake up. Enough with the terrorist attacks, we can’t handle this any more,” said Mizrahi.


Related Content
November 24, 2017
Iran army chief vows next war will see 'eradication' of Israel

By EYTAN HALON

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 19
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 10 - 14
    Jerusalem
    12 - 19
    Haifa
  • 13 - 23
    Elat
    14 - 21
    Tiberias