Australia: 230 suspected jihadis prevented from flying to ME since February

By JPOST.COM STAFF
March 25, 2015 09:25

In the past month, 230 Australian nationals were prevented from leaving Australia out of fears of joining radical jihadi groups in the Middle East such as Islamic State, according to Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott.

In an address to parliament, Abbott said that security forces stopped 86,000 people for questioning at various airports around the country.

According to Australian media, among those prevented from leaving the country was a 17-year-old boy who attempted to fly to Turkey from Sydney without his parents. He was removed from a flight after it was determined by counter-terrorism officers that he was planning to join Islamic State. His removal took place days after two other teenage boys were stopped at the airport while trying to fly unaccompanied to the Middle East. 

“He was on his way to conflict in the Middle East and it comes off the back of two individuals 16 and 17-year-olds ... who had been intercepted by counter-terrorism unit officers just before that,” said Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 22, 2018
Two killed in sectarian attack in southwestern Pakistan

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 12 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    15 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 11 - 19
    Jerusalem
    15 - 20
    Haifa
  • 17 - 29
    Elat
    14 - 27
    Tiberias