China's top judge says large jump in terrorism convictions

By REUTERS
March 13, 2016 04:38

BEIJING - Chinese courts convicted more than 1,400 people last year for harming national security, including taking part in terrorism and secessionist activities, China's top judge said on Sunday, double a broadly equivalent number given for 2014.

Hundreds of people have been killed over the past few years in China's resource-rich Xinjiang province, strategically located on the borders of central Asia, in violence between the Muslim Uighur people, who call the region home, and ethnic majority Han Chinese.

Officials have blamed the unrest on Islamist militants and separatists, though rights groups and exiles say anger at Chinese controls on the religion and culture of the Uighurs is more to blame for the strife. China denies any repression in Xinjiang.

In an annual report to China's largely rubber-stamp parliament, chief justice Zhou Qiang said Chinese courts in 2015 convicted 1,419 people for harming state security, including taking part in terrorist attacks and secessionist activities.

He did not give a comparison, but last year in his work report he said courts convicted 712 people for separatism and terrorism in 2014, up 13.3 percent on the previous year.


Related Content

Breaking news
February 24, 2018
Trump urges Mexico to block illegal immigrants from El Salvador

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 21
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 19
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 15
    Jerusalem
    11 - 17
    Haifa
  • 14 - 26
    Elat
    11 - 21
    Tiberias