Defective hotplate starts fire at yeshiva on Shabbat

By
February 19, 2017 17:47
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

A Jerusalem yeshiva was engulfed in flames early Saturday morning when a defective hotplate ignited a fire. Firefighters were called to the scene shortly after 1 a.m. and were able to evacuate the unidentified building and extinguish the blaze. No injuries were reported. The extent of damage to the building remains unclear.

A subsequent investigation determined that the hotplate, which was left on near cloth during Shabbat, was not industry approved. According to fire officials, a number of fires have been caused over the years during Shabbat by defective hotplates, as well as hotplates placed near flammable materials, such as dish rags or napkins.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 22, 2018
Two killed in sectarian attack in southwestern Pakistan

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 12 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    15 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 11 - 19
    Jerusalem
    15 - 20
    Haifa
  • 17 - 29
    Elat
    14 - 27
    Tiberias