French interior ministry spokesman says second policeman not dead in Paris

ByREUTERS
April 21, 2017 00:14




Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit:JPOST STAFF)

PARIS - A French interior ministry spokesman said on Thursday that a second policeman had not died of his wounds from an attack in Paris, as had been earlier reported.

But he said that, apart from the policeman killed on the spot by the attacker, two police officers had been seriously wounded.

"An automatic weapon was used against police, a weapon of war," the spokesman, Pierre-Henry Brandet, told reporters, adding that the "terrorist threat" in the country remained high.

Brandet said the shooting started at shortly after 9 p.m. when a car stopped alongside a stationary police car. "A man immediately got out and opened fire on the police car, fatally wounding a police officer ... He also wounded a second one, it would seem very seriously," he said.



The identity of the attacker, who was killed, had not yet been definitely established, he said.

Related Content
Breaking news
June 28, 2017
US House overwhelmingly backs NATO mutual defense

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 22 - 36
    Beer Sheva
    23 - 29
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 23 - 32
    Jerusalem
    23 - 29
    Haifa
  • 29 - 43
    Elat
    26 - 40
    Tiberias