ISIS claims Sinai rocket attack

By
February 22, 2017 00:12

The Islamic State group on Tuesday night officially claimed responsibility for firing two rockets towards southern Israel by their affiliate in Egypt, known as Sinai Province on Monday.

According to the claim released by the terror group’s Amaq Agency, the group launched two Katyusha rockets at Eskhol in the southern part of the country. Monday's rocket attack came the day after Islamic State-linked media claimed that an unmanned Israeli drone had bombed and killed five members of ISIS in Egypt in the northern Sinai region.

Earlier this month the group claimed responsibility for a rocket barrage fired from the Sinai towards Israel's Red Sea resort of city of Eilat. The Iron Dome missile system intercepted three projectiles while a fourth landed in open territory. There were no casualties but at least four people were treated for anxiety.

The group said the attack was launched "in order to teach the Jews and the crusaders a proxy war will not avail them of anything,” and threatened future “calamitous” attacks. Israel has not retaliated against the rockets.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 19, 2018
Iraq coordinated with Syrian government on anti-IS air strikes, says military

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 30
    Beer Sheva
    18 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 15 - 26
    Jerusalem
    16 - 25
    Haifa
  • 20 - 36
    Elat
    17 - 32
    Tiberias