Italian prosecutors drop case against Erdogan's son

By REUTERS
September 21, 2016 16:50

BOLOGNA - Italian prosecutors have dropped a money laundering case against the son of Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, their office said on Wednesday.

The decision, which has yet to be confirmed by a senior judge - usually a formality - came six weeks after Erdogan complained in a television interview that his son Bilal was being abused by the Italian justice system.

"Italy should be attending to the mafia, not my son," Erdogan said, adding that it could "cause problems for our relationship with Italy" if his son returned to the country and was arrested.

The allegation that Bilal Erodogan, 35, was involved in money laundering while studying in Italy last year was first made by Murat Hakan Uzan, an exiled member of one of Turkey's richest families and an opponent of the president.


Related Content

Breaking news
February 22, 2018
Kremlin: Russia, allies not responsible for situation in Syria's Ghouta

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    10 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 16
    Jerusalem
    11 - 19
    Haifa
  • 17 - 25
    Elat
    12 - 22
    Tiberias