Judicial source: Lebanon charges 28 over cafe bombing

January 20, 2015 17:28

BEIRUT - Lebanon charged 28 people on Tuesday for involvement in a double suicide bomb attack in the northern city of Tripoli this month which killed at least nine people, a judicial source said.

Four of those charged by the main military court are in custody after being arrested last week on suspicion of belonging to a terrorist organization that was plotting to carry out further attacks in Lebanon, the source said.

The other 24 people charged remain at large, the source added.

The bombing by suspected Sunni Islamist militants took place at a cafe in an Alawite neighborhood of Tripoli on Jan. 10.

It appeared aimed at stirring sectarian strife in a country that has suffered regular spillover from the civil war in neighboring Syria.

The attack, condemned across Lebanon's political spectrum, prompted widespread raids by security forces, including on a prison which had effectively been taken over by its Islamist inmates.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 24, 2018
Trump moves to limit transgender military service


Israel Weather
  • 16 - 23
    Beer Sheva
    20 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 18 - 18
    18 - 20
  • 25 - 32
    20 - 23