Lawmakers extend French emergency rule after attack on Nice

By REUTERS
July 20, 2016 07:31

PARIS - French lawmakers on Wednesday approved a six-month rollover of emergency rule in the wake of last week's truck attack on the city of Nice, the third deadly assault in 18 months for which the Islamist State militant group has claimed responsibility.

The extension of extra search-and-arrest powers for police was approved by 489 votes to 26 against shortly before dawn in France's National Assembly, the lower house of parliament.

Prime Minister Manuel Valls, jeered by crowds at a remembrance ceremony last Monday and criticized by political opponents over the attack, called for national unity when presenting the emergency rule bill overnight.

"We must remain united and focused because we must be strong in the face of this threat," he said.


Related Content

Breaking news
February 23, 2018
Chinese paper says U.S. should learn from China, restrict guns, protect rights

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 10 - 21
    Beer Sheva
    11 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 16
    Jerusalem
    10 - 18
    Haifa
  • 15 - 25
    Elat
    12 - 22
    Tiberias