Merkel dismisses US request for more military help against Islamic State

December 13, 2015 22:32
1 minute read.

BERLIN - Chancellor Angela Merkel on Sunday brushed off what a Germany magazine said was a request from the United States to provide more military help in the fight against Islamic State.

"I believe Germany is fulfilling its part and we don't need to talk about new issues related to this question at the moment," Merkel told the ZDF broadcaster when asked about the Der Spiegel magazine report of the US request.

Der Spiegel reported on Saturday that US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter had sent a letter asking for a bigger military contribution from Germany, a week after parliament approved a plan to join the campaign in Syria.

A German Defence Ministry spokesman confirmed a letter had been received from the United States and its content was under consideration, giving no further details.

Der Spiegel said the letter did not make specific demands and was similar to requests sent to other US partners.

Germany's mission includes six Tornado reconnaissance jets, a frigate to protect the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, refueling aircraft and up to 1,200 troops.

The deployment is a direct response to a French appeal for solidarity after militant attacks in Paris killed 130 people. Germany does not plan to carry out air strikes in Syria.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 22, 2018
Turkey says will drive Kurdish YPG from Syrian border area if no deal with U.S.


Israel Weather
  • 19 - 34
    Beer Sheva
    19 - 31
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 20 - 29
    20 - 29
  • 25 - 35
    18 - 33